Thursday, May 17, 2012

Life on the Run--It happens to us all!

Good Day My Friends,

The last several weeks have been extremely hectic with work and life in general.  I have therefore spent very little time in the saddle putting in some quality miles.  When life happens, and I can't get time on the bike, I still continue to look for ways to keep moving and motivated.  Fortunately, there is a wellness program at work and we have access to a gym, so I have been utilizing the facility during my lunch hour.  I've been spending time on the treadmill while also working on strength and flexibility.    

What I looked like running!!

When I first started my fitness journey several years ago, I turned to running (or my version of running, which was more like a bubba-run or a big-boy run) that wasn't a pretty sight and in reality was a fast uncoordinated walk with several bumbling hops to feel like a run.  I gradually got better, dropped some weight and became more efficient, if only slightly.  Since then, I have improved and being on the bike has aided in developing the endurance and strength to keep pushing myself. 

Here's a quick "run" down of "Old Me" VS. "New Me" based on averages over several years:

"Old Me"--257 lbs (when I started running)
Fastest 1 Mile--14'31"
Fastest 5K------47'52"
Avg Pace-------17'16"/mile

"New Me"--212 lbs
Fastest 1 Mile--8'02"
Fastest 5K------28'24"
Avg Pace-------10'24"/mile

Summary
Fastest 1 Mile--55.34% improvement / 6' 29" shaved off
Fastest 5K------59.33% improvement / 19' 28" shaved off
Avg Pace-------60.23% improvement / 6' 52" shaved off


In addition to my time on the treadmill, incorporating strength training and flexibility exercises into the routine keeps me in good form on the bike and reduces muscle tightness and strains.  In the search to keep things fresh and to prevent my mind and body from growing accustomed to the same workout routine, I continually look for ways to make training more engaging.  I was looking for alternative exercises to build upper body strength and read this article on LiveStrong. com.  I have tried a few of these exercises and have found them challenging.  I urge you to try these pushup variations to challenge yourself.


Martin Rooney is the founder of Training for Warriors, trained athletes from the NFL, MLB, NBA and several Division I colleges, and has lectured for the American College of Sports Medicine and many other professional strength and conditioning organizations. He created the Pushup Warrior app, which features 120 pushup variations and 80 workouts. He has also written seven books, including “Warrior Cardio,” which is now available on Amazon.

  After trying these variations of the pushup out, send me your comments below or follow me on twitter @mindbodybike and we can work together to become stronger, healthier athletes.

 Until the next time,
Keep your mind sharp, body fit and Pedal Hard
MB&B



6 comments:

  1. BWAHAHA That dog is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can we get a video of the old heavier you running? Just to help keep us motivated?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully, NO!
      Think of it as one of the guys in the Awkward Runners post only bigger with more sweat pouring down the face. (April 2012)

      Delete
    2. Either way, congrats on the change! Now if you can teach me how to be faster on the bike...

      Delete
    3. Keep following the blog and try some of the workouts. Time and practice my friend. High Cadence drills will build endurance, Big Gear/Climbing Drills will build power. As I learn it, I'll share it. Thanks for reading and good luck in your events this year. I hope I can help, even if it's just to cheer you on.

      Delete
    4. I can at least help on the running. To help increase your speed don't forget to do your speed work and tempo run. I find doing my tempo runs on the treadmill at a decent incline really helps me.

      Delete